White. White. More White. Loves.
Chris Creamer of SportsLogos.net tweeted our first look at the Thunder’s “City Edition” uniforms on Monday afternoon. The leaks come from the Thunder’s media guide and appear to continue the “Mixtape” trend of other NBA City Editions, combining different elements from past Thunder jerseys to make one. The jersey will be monochromatic. A lot of white, apparently.
It’s pretty fun to pick out the different aspects from past Thunder jerseys. The vertical “OKC” and number placement is reminiscent of the Thunder’s first navy blue alternate jersey. The “OKC” appears to be in the style of the O.G. Sunset jerseys. You get the “sound wave” lines from recent Statement jerseys.
The shorts also piece together past Thunder uniforms. The diagonal stripes come from the Native-American-inspired City Edition uniforms. AND we love those 2012 Navy Blue alternates so much that we paid homage to them again… with even more vertical “Thunder” type.
The best part of the alternate is also the smallest: The center of the waistband. Here we get a throwback to the Thunder’s placeholder logo used on the Summer League jerseys after the move from Seattle to OKC, before we had a logo and team name. THAT is pretty cool.
The “Mixtape” jerseys have been met with mixed opinion. As always, initial reviews are going to be split. Some people will love them while others will claim they’re the worst Thunder jersey yet. It happens with every. single. jersey. Me? I’ll wait until Friday, November 21st, when the Thunder first wear the City Edition jerseys, to give a final verdict on whether I like them or not.
I’ve gathered some thoughts, critiques, questions, and positives from Thunder fans since the jersey leaked online:
- The monochrome idea is cool. An audible from blues and oranges we’ve seen from recent alternates.
- Any accessory color will look good with these and I think will help win people over in the long run. All white uniforms with navy shooting sleeves, socks, etc? *Chef’s Kiss*
- “Why put all the effort in to combine details and have no color” – Champton on Discord
- The Love’s logo DESTROYS the vibe.
- Seriously, when is Love’s going to be a team player and make their jersey patch a little less jarring on all of these jerseys?
- “If only we could white out the loves patch too” – DoubleA25 on Discord
- Maybe the all-white is a tribute to the pajama sleeved alternates?
- LOVE the placeholder logo on the waistband. But WHYYYYY is it the smallest part of the uniform?
- Seriously, with the rebuild going strong, this seemed like a perfect time to play off the placeholder logo even more! Go all black with the uniforms, or put the logo front & center.
- As always, @OKCTracker had great thoughts on the new uniforms.
- We apparently forgot last year’s Nascar jerseys existed. I’m not mad about it.
- Not a fan lol but I’ll still get it anyways – ts6 on Discord
- Was never a fan of the original Thunder alternate jerseys with the vertical type… WITH THAT BEING SAID…
The Thunder should have gone with a MAJOR deep cut and given us THUDNER down the front of the jersey.